Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Million Year Picnic and Jam Comics

Million Year Picnic now carries my mini-comics! They are located in Harvard square:

Million Year Picnic

99 Mt. Auburn Street (Downstairs)

Cambridge, MA 02138

They are a store, by the way. And... possibly a suggestion. I've been there many times before, and their comics range from thoroughly mainstream to completely local -- from Wonderwoman to Jeff Smith to Asterix to Manga to a shelf full of locally made comics and zines. It's like whoever stocked the Boston Public Library's indie/adult graphic novel section did so by grabbing armfuls of books from Million Year Picnic's indie shelves. (The same person also dragged all the authors to MoCCA.)

Since I finally got around to printing some of my comics for MoCCA, I was able to stop by Million Year Picnic with mini-comics. Million Year was really nice and very cool -- they bought a handful of my mini's on the spot, and paid me!

Hub Comics in Union square also sounds very indie friendly and supportive of local mini's, so I plan to stop by there too, eventually. (New England Comics hosts local comics too, but by consignment. )


Also, here is a 'Jam Comic' from New York MoCCA festival.

For reference: that weekend in NYC was wrechedly humid and hot. Also, the top floor of MoCCA, where we were, had no air conditioning. So on Saturday, me and a bunch of comics creators were all eating at a Chinese restaurant. Ron drew the title and the first panel on a sketchbook, passed it around, and voila.

Jaime wrote "The ink on my comics evaporated!" caption and I illustrated it. I can pinpoint Dan M's, Spike's, and Cathy's panels, but I'm not as sure about the others.

(Click on image for larger view)










For good measure, here's another jam comic.
(Can you spot which panel, that I drew a picture for and Lindsey added words?)






2 comments:

Jammer said...

Hi! This is James, owner of Hub Comics. We are definitely indie friendly. I was at MoCCA this year, but I didn't make it upstairs, if that's where you were. (I was only there Saturday.)

We're always looking for indie comics -- especially local ones. We have a local section that includes comics, zines, CDs, T-shirts and stuffed animals.

So yeah, bring by some comics!

Aya said...

Great! I'll stop by Hub Comics this evening!